Whether it’s an article, a blog post or a web page, having an eye catching title which works both in drawing real people to your content and maximising visibility of your content in the search results is key. Here are five tips for maximising the effectiveness of your titles.
1. Include your keyword or keyphrase. Obvious, but it’s often missed.
2. Include your keyword or keyphrase near the beginning of your title. The very beginning is obviously best.
3. Keep it short. If your title’s too long you’ll lose people’s attention before they even get….
4. Give your reader what they want. Know who your readers are, what they want and what they’re looking for. This will tell you what it is you need to give them. Make sure your title promises to offer them the answers or advice they’re looking for right now.
5. Include a number. Obviously not always relevant, but offering 5 tips, 10 hints, 20 strategies and son implies an organised, structured piece of content that they can really use.
Do you have any other tips you’d like to add? What’s the best title you’ve come across, or that you’ve written yourself? Leave a comment below and share your thoughts.