Throughout this blog we’ve discussed the ins and outs of longtail keyword optimisation, including how to maximise its potential, how Google Instant has affected the impact of longtail SEO, and how to identify the most effective longtail keyword phrases for your niche market.

Longtail keyphrases anchor textBut a question recently raised by one client related to the anchor link text used at the bottom of articles, and in blog posts, forum posts and other such locations. Specifically, the query was this: assuming that the short keyphrase being optimised was ‘cuckoo clock’, and the longtail keyphrase is ‘cuckoo clock replacement bird’, what should the anchor text look like? Should you use the short keyphrase only, or the longtail keyphrase? Should you include the longtail keyphrase, but only actually link the short keyphrase within it, as in ‘cuckoo clock replacement bird’?

It’s a tricky looking problem, and when it comes to longtail SEO, there do seem to be at least three or four ways of approaching the challenge of marketing your business for both short keyword phrases and longer phrases. So what’s the best advice?

The best advice is to ensure that the short keyphrase still appears in your content, and in your resource, signature or post. But also make sure that your longtail keyphrase is used a number of times too. Let’s say you have an article that’s around 800 words. You should only aim to use your main keyphrase around 5 times, with your long tail keyphrase appearing perhaps twice – three times at most.

When it comes to your author resource, or the anchor links, the best advice is this. Either include two links, one with the short keyphrase and one with the longtail keyphrase (but pointing to two different URLs if possible). Otherwise, aim to include your short keyphrase around 60% of the time as your anchor link, and your longtail keyphrase the other 40% of the time. However, when you use your short keyphrase as the anchor text, there’s no harm in using the full longtail keyphrase text as the context.

So, to make it clear, the best advice would be:

cuckoo clock‘ – around 30% of the time
cuckoo clock replacement bird’ – around 30% of the time
cuckoo clock replacement bird‘ – around 40% of the time