I was going to write a post on the SEO benefits of Google Webmaster Tools (GWT) and how you should use it, then I found this great video that says it all (thanks AskJoanne)!
I’ve also listed what I consider the top 6 features below this video for those of you that are in a rush!
Top 6 Useful Features of Google Webmaster Tools
- Crawl Errors – Use this feature to help identify if Google has any problems in finding/indexing any of your pages.
- HTML Suggestions – Use this feature to identify and duplicate content or duplicate META issues.
- Links To Your Site – Use this feature to analyse backlinks to your site from other external webpages.
- Search Queries – Use this feature to identify what keywords visitors are susing to find your site on Google.
- Sitemaps – If you have a large website sitemaps are a great way of telling Google what pages exist on your site. Providing you have backlinks to your website from external websites Google will index your site regardless but by using the sitemap feature in GWT just makes it easier for Google to crawl and index your site. To create an XML sitemap you can use a free generator such as http://www.xml-sitemaps.com.
- Fetch As Googlebot – Use this feature to see exactly how Google sees your pages. You may find that your backend code is causing problems!
That’s it in a nutshell, if you have any questions regarding the use of Google Webmaster Tools please feel free to give us a shout!